Super stiff so sore

Alright so we had our first games over the weekend, I pitched saturday. It's a preseason game, and just like all other pitchers and baseball players in the world, you gotta start light, that's what pre-season is all about, that's why I only pitched max of 55 pitches. Which I did. I threw 2 innings, they went well, no runs, 2 k's, 2 bloop hits (for non-baseball fans a bloop is when they hit the ball very weakly, but since the field is very big, there are lots of holes for crappy hits to go). Anyways, they went well, then I came out for the 3rd inning, walked the first guy and gave up a double to the 2nd, and my day was done. I hate ending stuff on a bad note so I decided to make myself pay for it.

The best thing for pitchers after they pitch is to run. It helps get lactic acid out of your arm from all the pitching, and also is about the best conditioning there is. So I ran, and ran and ran, very Forest Gumpish... well not that extreme, but for me it was. I usually tell myself how many poles I will run before I start, I said 10. (Poles are running from one foul pole to the other and back, takes about 1:35, probably about 1000 feet up and back). Anywho, I got to 8 and my team was hitting, and getting into a rally, and I told myself I would run until the rally was over it would be good for me, and it didn't matter since I didn't have to do anything other then run the next day. They went through 2 pitchers and we scored a few runs that inning, needless to say I got in about 18 poles.

I wasn't too damn sore waking up. I figured I would cry. So I went to the field, got there 1 hour early to get my running done before batting practice started. Did some sprints for the first time in... well 2008.( pitching is not as important for starting pitchers as it is for positions players) Well, it went alright, about 35 mins of lunges and sprints, no big deal. By the way, we shit the bed and blew a 9th inning 9-3 lead vs. the top team in Europe who we beat saturday, to tie 9-9.

I needed 3 ibuprofen to get out of bed, almost literally. On top of that getting up super early to rebuild our mound on the field for 4 hours of physical labour. That was bearable, but barely, I think I almost cramped up about 23 times. water, water, water... fixes all.
The evening brings along national team training in Amsterdam. Running and abs for 1 hour. Nothing I haven't done before, but when you're as stiff as I was right before you start this intence stuff, not good. About 50 sprints, some running with weights behind you, bunch of jumps, agility.

Tuesday (tomorrow)=
*starting to cry thinking about it*
Practice tomorrow night, oh that means more running. Eff.

I might just not get out of bed until thursday.

1 comment:

the runner said...

I get sore just reading your recount of the last few days..ouch!!!
Good ol' Ibuprofen did the trick, but also covers up any warning signs when you push yourself too hard!
Ha...ha..2nd day is usually worse than the day after[that was monday], you maybe over the worst of it now! Get the hotpack out for further pampering...yes...soothe those muscles! Where is that physio when you need him!!